In Linux (Shell), there are two types of variable:
(1) System variables - Created and maintained by Linux itself. This type of variable defined in CAPITAL LETTERS.
(2) User defined variables (UDV) - Created and maintained by user. This type of variable defined in lower letters.
- var refers to the name, $var to the value
- t = 100 #Sets var t to value 100
- echo ”$t = $t” #will print: $t = 100
- Remove a variable with unset var
- Names begin with alpha characters and include alpha, numeric, or underscore